A Month in Maine At A Glance 📸

Camden MaineCamden, Maine

Maine— just being here stirs up some things. I guess there are qualities about a place that never really go away. You love parts of it, people in it, m e m o r i e s associated with it… but you can’t really bring yourself to admit you love all of it for all the heartaches, drawbacks, and things it lacks. But you ignore those faults anyway and surround yourself with people you love and good energy. That’s what being home is. I think that’s what contentment is. It’s not just a love for, but it is also forgiveness of, a past you cannot change.

–December 19th, 2016

This post is something entirely new for me– a concept, a photojournalistic experience of a place many of you will likely never get the chance to see in December (I wouldn’t blame you, it’s absolutely frigid… and Maine sort of sucks in the winter). Despite all those things, it is a place I still fondly refer to as ‘home’ located in a little town called Camden, smack dab in the middle of the coast of Maine.

After going home for a solid month, I thought I’d give a little glimpse through my own figurative and literal lens to the Maine experience. This post sort of details all of the little things I found so beautiful where I once saw nothing as a teenager and a kid. It’s so odd to realize how times can change. I won’t lie– I think about my life and the life that could have been there, all the time.

I hope you are able to feel the way I felt being home– a dreamlike state of being neither here nor there. I also hope that same part of you falls in love with the very people, places, and things that I did.

What Makes a Home

Maine is one of those places a person can only dream about and read books about and is occasionally featured in this fictional television show or that novel. There was hardly a person I passed on an everyday basis whose name I did not already know, and supermarket runs often meant an additional thirty minutes to complete on account of knowing far too many people to keep track of.

I’ll admit– the way I grew up was unconventional in comparison to most city dwellers and suburban kids I’ve met. I lived in a town with a whopping population of 3,000 people– sometimes there were more, oftentimes less. Winters were and still are endless (and unbelievably lonely), the locals are lovely, and cheeks are red. But for all that it lacks and all that it has, I am in a perpetual state of both loving and hating it, if that makes any sense?

What Makes a HomeWhat Makes a Home

Going home, I realized that nothing ever really changes. Just being back, you remember feelings that were hurt and pain that lasts. If you’ve ever seen the movie Click (starring Adam Sandler), the town is a bit like that… except you’re only allowed to press pause instead of rewind, fast forward, and slow-mo. Just because you go away, it doesn’t mean that past mistakes and old grudges stay that way too, and like everything in life, are bound to come full circle. I’ve realized there’s only so long you can run until everything really does come flooding back.

Beech Hill

Sure I’ll admit that I’m as susceptible as anyone to succumbing to the negativity that once made up a large part of my life, but after leaving for a good chunk of time, I grew up… plain and simple, and realized there’s more to life. I want to get back to that point where I love my neighbor and my neighbor’s neighbor, and look forward to seeing the town where I grew up more than I dread my return home.

What Makes a Home

blonde girl portrait

One thing that never really gets old are the days and nights spent cuddled inside, wrapped under a blanket or spent sipping on hot chocolate with a friend. Since it’s often far too cold to be outside during the winter months, people in Maine tend not to go out at all when the weather is too frigid. Warm fireplaces and Netflix are a much more appealing alternative to freezing your butt off and attempting to keep your fingers from getting frostbite…

That is, unless, you ski, or snowboard, or have taken up some other wintertime activity. With way too much free time and far too much snow, Mainers tend to pick up hobbies as they go. I still look back fondly on the ice skating, skiing, and snowboarding lessons I took as a kid and realize I was lucky to have had those opportunities. Now I can kick ass on the slopes and my only response is,”I’m from Maine.” Enough said.

What Makes a HomeIdentical Twins Photography

If you couldn’t tell, I also can’t get enough of my friends. Being in Maine always feels like a bit of a dreamscape. I’ve have everything I need, right there. I’ve said it again and again and again– there are far too many beautiful people, places, and things that I once took for granted. Now that I’ve left them, I miss it all… especially when my thoughts fall north towards Maine’s direction.

Besides, how could one tire of the adventures, the untouched nature, the shenanigans, the smiles, or the people? I always say that being in Maine brings out the most natural human inside of everyone, and I stand by that statement to this day. Living is simple there. There are no pretenses or egos, everyone is just trying to get by. You’re forced to be smart, resourceful, and humble… and when you get your car stuck on the ice like I did, you get out and push with your own hands and feet.

It’s hard to replicate that attitude, that stubbornness, that resourcefulness anywhere else… no matter how hard you try.

What Makes a Home

And don’t even get me started on how beautiful the woods and wilderness are… you can hike a mountain or take a ride on a chairlift and wind up overlooking the sea. It’s the best of both worlds, and it makes you wonder why all your problems seemed so large anyway. As humans, we have a way of taking things for granted and destroying everything we touch.

Being in Maine makes you think differently about a lot of things, whether it’s the way you treat mother nature or how you think about what you eat. I always live the most consciously there, and it’s because there is always an influx of fresh thought and food and attitude. You learn to need not, want not. People aren’t competing for the same level of status as they would be in, say, DC. In the city, being an asshole is perfectly fine. In Maine, being an asshole just ensures that you will be alone for the rest of your life.

Camden, Maine Camden, Maine

It really is funny… how I used to hate home so much. Now? I romanticize, yearn for, write about, and miss it to no end. It’s a strange disconnect from the person I used to be to the person I am today. When I’m there I can’t help but feel immeasurably grateful. It forces me to stand back and look at everything in retrospect. What a beautiful life I live… and what a beautiful world we take for granted.

♡ Questions for Y-O-U ♡

I’m curious to see whether you have the same fondness for the place you were raised as I do. Have you ever been to Maine? Also let me know what you thought of this post, as it’s something I’ve never really done before. The best way is to let me know in the comments below! 🙂

TWITTERINSTAGRAM  |  SNAPCHAT  |  BLOGLOVIN

33 Comments

1. January 18, 2017 / 3:37 am

I have to say that your photos, and the post totally made add Maine to my bucket list of places I have to go to in the US. I wasn’t raised in Boston but I lived there for a few years and fell in love with the city, I totally get what you say about romanizing it.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:20 pm

I’m so glad I made you want to visit Maine! I absolutely love the place where I’m from and I always think it’s interesting whenever I go back and look at my own photos how my view on it has changed. Thank you for the kind words 🙂

2. blair villanueva
    January 18, 2017 / 5:24 am

I always have a fondness in every beaches that I visited in. It reminds me of my childhood home, were we are just few steps away from the sea.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:22 pm

I couldn’t imagine being away from the ocean for too long. The idea of being landlocked makes me feel totally claustrophobic. It certainly does add a unique perspective when it comes to the way you define “home”.

3. January 18, 2017 / 8:26 am

I do feel very close to home when I go. It’s beautiful in nature and I never notices it also when I was there. Maine is on my bucketlist of places to visit. My mother went a few years ago and really enjoyed herself.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:23 pm

It’s incredibly beautiful, although I’d recommend a gander during the summertime as there isn’t much to do in -5 degree weather haha.

4. January 18, 2017 / 8:26 am

What gorgeous photos! I’ve never been to Maine before but after seeing these, I hope I can make it someday.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Whenever I look back on my own photos, it really does make me miss being home. Here’s to hoping one day you’ll be able to see it with your own eyes too!

5. January 18, 2017 / 9:17 am

Amazing pictures !!! Great place to run away and enjoy in this beautiful nature !!

• January 18, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Thank you for the kind words! I would run away to there forever, if I could.

6. January 18, 2017 / 9:39 am

I grew up in the big city and when I moved to a small suburb in the south it was a big change. No more large building, but so much beautiful nature.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:26 pm

You definitely learn to appreciate Earth’s bountiful pleasures beyond what you are merely able to take from it, and I think that was the most eye opening realization to me when I re-visited these photos and this post.

7. January 18, 2017 / 10:05 am

The post is written so beautifully, I feel like it should be published in book form. I was entranced with every word and every image made me feel like I was there

• January 18, 2017 / 3:27 pm

Thank you so much! That was exactly the feeling and vibe I was going for!

8. January 18, 2017 / 5:32 pm

OMG Maine is amazing!! the landscape is just beautiful and so breathtaking. I’m glad you could hang out with your friends and that you have such an amazing time. When you wrote that time doesn’t pass there, I totally get it, it’s the same with the town where I used to live. Love this post, and your blog! I’m so glad I found youuu

• January 18, 2017 / 8:17 pm

I know! I never really appreciated Maine for its beauty until I left… now I go back and dream about it all the time. There really is no place like home, and I feel like a transplant wherever else I go. Thank you so much for the kind words and for stopping by, love! <3

9. Jessica
    January 18, 2017 / 6:51 pm

These photos are absolutely breathtaking. They really tell a story. For some reason I have always wanted to go to Maine. Not sure why. Your post makes it sound so nostalgic and peaceful. A lot of nature in these photos. Beautiful.

• January 18, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Thank you! Since I’ve never really done this sort of post before, that was what I was kind of going for. I never used to value Maine while I lived there, but my heart aches for it endlessly now that I’m away. Thank you for all the kind words– maybe someday you’ll be able to see it all too.

10. January 18, 2017 / 8:59 pm

I love this so much! The photos and words are so beautiful. I currently live in Lincolnville and got married on Mount Battie in September. This is such a special place.

• January 18, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Oh my gosh that’s amazing! You’re so close by! When I’m there in the summer I usually gravitate and exist around Camden! Glad you share the same love for Maine as I do.

11. January 19, 2017 / 6:37 am

I have never been to Maine, but I plan on it in the future (: Your photos really captured the state! I love reading traveling blogs because of that reason. Great job!

• January 19, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Aw I’m so glad to hear it! This is really the first travel / photojournalistic style blog post I’ve ever made so I’m really glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

12. January 19, 2017 / 3:01 pm

A very beautiful post The pictures are stunning. And your words transport us to Maine

• January 20, 2017 / 12:08 pm

Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked them! 🙂

13. January 20, 2017 / 12:05 am

I’ve never visited Maine, but you did add to my curiosity. Loved reading your post and the pictures look amazing. I would love to visit the place in summers n see it in full bloom.

• January 20, 2017 / 12:13 pm

That was the aim! So glad you were at least able to stop by and see the photos I took!

14. January 20, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Maine looks like a dreamscape indeed! Loved your pictures and you’ve captured Maine very beautifully!